Monday, September 29, 2008

Binghai Road

Today we went for a great walk along the coast of Dalian. We followed a road on a really nice boarded path that was 12km (still don't really know conversion). Got a great view of the coastal part of the city, some exercise, and had an amazing experience with a random group of people picnicking on the trail. It was great, as we were walking by we were all looking at this big spread of food they had, and were about ready to get lunch ourselves. One of the guys offered me a roll looking thing and gestured for me to sit down. So, I did, and soon we were sharing beers, soda, cucumbers and fish with about 10 Chinese people who didn't speak any English. Actually, they spoke about as much English as I speak Chinese, and their 10 and 12 year old kids were the best. It was one of the best experiences of our trip! We managed to enjoy a meal, have decent conversation and meet some great people.. Everytime one of us would take a drink they would all drink and say "CHEERS!" They were super generous and the food and beers were great. I hope that someday we can return the favor to some random travellers who don't speak English when we are back home.

1 comment:

trinka_m said...

Yeah! Finally found your blog! your hike along the coast sounded amazing! I'm so happy you met those nice people, and that they were so welcoming. It really does teach us to do the same to those who are visiting our country. It makes such a huge impact, as I noticed with you and Amanda. I'm sure you'll remember that day forever! I hope we can talk on Skype again soon! Love you guys!